Over the past couple days, while everyone on Facebook has proceeded to change their profile pictures in an effort to show support for the American marriage equality movement, I was busy trying to figure out who the hell was who and, oh, found out about, you know, other shit that went on meanwhile:
- President Obama signed the ‘Monsanto Protection Act’ into law, effectively barring federal courts from halting the sale or planting of genetically modified (aka GMO) and genetically engineered (GE) seeds, regardless of the health issues might arise concerning GMOs in the future.
- A bill that targets transgender people was approved by an Arizona House panel. It shields businesses from civil or criminal liability if they ban people from restrooms that don’t match their birth-assigned sex.
- Kansas lawmakers got closer to passing a new law that will discriminate against people living with HIV or AIDS by forcing them to be ‘quarantined’.
- Rapper Rick Ross came under fire for the following date-rapey rap lyrics: “Put molly all in her champagne, she ain’t even know it… I took her home and I enjoyed that, she ain’t even know it.” Meanwhile, over 1200 women in the U.S. were raped. And approximately 3 were murdered by intimate partners.
- Approximately 35,948 Americans were arrested, taken to jail and booked. That’s just in one day. The relative majority of them were arrested for nonviolent drug crimes. They were disproportionately Black and Latino.
- Around 2,000 queer youth around the country became homeless. That’s a conservative estimate.
The more you motherfuckin’ know (via Mia McKenzie / BlackGirlDangerous.org).